Friday, March 9, 2012

Sophie Kinsella - 'I've Got Your Number'

I was waiting and waiting for this book to come out! Then I had to wait for my birthday (the girls were going to get it for me) and then we had to try four different shops!

I am happy to say it was worth it! Sophie Kinsella is just one of those authors where every book is better then the last. (Ok the exception here is 'Can You Keep a Secret?' which is still my favourite, but other then that).

Poppy Wyatt is a bride-to-be who just happens to lose her engagement ring. If this is not bad enough, it is only a week until the wedding. It was a family heirloom and she is already incredibly intimidated by her fiance's academically over-achieving family. Oops. Then to make matters even worse, she loses her phone on the same day. Fate intervenes however when she finds an abandoned telephone in a rubbish bin, meaning she has a number to give to the hotel staff, the police and anyone else who needs it.

Sam Roxton however is less impressed by fate. It is his phone Poppy has acquired and he would like it back. When Poppy begins to "help" in his personal and professional life he is even less impressed.

A twist to this book is that there are ongoing footnotes which "are for things which aren't your main concern but nevertheless hold some interest"* and they definitely add to the fun of the story. That said, as with all good footnotes, the story is perfectly readable without them. If you happen to reading this story electronically there may be a trick to reading them. I am not sure what this is, this is just from comments I have read by others on facebook.

A colourful cast, bizarre situations and lighthearted fun. Highly recommended to any lover of chick lit.

*quote from page 11. This should be a footnote, but I don't know how to do them on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment